The Instructor Development Course (IDC) is considered one of the most challenging, fun and rewarding courses PADI has to offer. The training you will receive will prepare you for the most sought after job in the diving industry.
Here at Roatan Dive Academy (RDA) we pride ourselves in our small course sizes and personal teaching styles so that you may get the best training in becoming a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor. With our experienced in-house dive team we are sure you will be happy knowing that we are all here to help make this life changing opportunity something you will never forget !
RDA´s IDC is a ten-day course, including two days for your Emergency First Response Instructor Course (EFRI), Emergency O2 Provider Instructor Course and Enriched Air Instructor Course.
During these ten days, our PADI Course Director will accompany and train you how to teach, not only in open water, but also in confined water and classroom settings. You will gain an overall understanding of the PADI system of instruction and you will finish having a firm grasp on all of PADI’s teaching standards and procedures.
• Be a certified Divemaster, and be in ¨Teaching Status¨
• 80 logged dives at the start, and 100 logged dives at the end of the IDC
• EFR certified within 24 months of the IDC
• Show proof of Deep, Night and Navigation dives
• Medical Clearance within the last 12 months
If you meet all these requirements, then you are ready to enroll in our IDC!
If you are missing any of these requirements, we can customize your IDC and develop a plan to incorporate and complete the courses or dives you need.
• Improved public speaking, ability to organize, present, and demonstrate information
• Confined Water instruction
• Open Water instruction
• Knowledge Development Presentations
• PADI Standards and how to use the Instructor Manual
You will learn to teach and certify:
• Project Aware Specialty
• Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty
• PADI Open Water Divers
• PADI Advanced Open Water Divers
• PADI Rescue Divers
• PADI Dive Masters
• Emergency O2 Provider course
Customer service skills:
• Active listening
• Adaptability & attentiveness
• Decision making
• Effective communication & responsiveness Working with local staff and learning a new language:
• Learn from locals and take advantage of their lifelong reef experience
• Learn how best to spot marine species
• Practicing your Spanish or learn the local language, Garifuna
We will work hard to make sure your in-water skills, including briefings, demonstrations, teaching and debriefings, are at the highest level possible.
Classroom teaching presentations:
Learn how to effectively teach and present topics from all the PADI courses and specialties you will be certified to instruct. Dive equipment, courses, knowledge and sales:
Learn everything you need to know about the diving industry in order to serve your customers and students and best help them enjoy their diving experiences.
Responding to emergency situations: As a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor, it is mandatory that you are an Emergency First Responder Instructor. You will learn how to teach these life-saving skills to your own students and pass on this vital knowledge to future PADI divers.
• Speciality Instructor Outlines Manual – US$ 25 (each speciality)
• Speciality Diver Manual recommended* - US$ 50 (each speciality)
*(Nitrox and Gas Blender mandatory. Costs are estimated)
(b) PADI Materials US$ 850
(c) PADI Fees estimate US$ 1,150 (aprox)
(a) IDC investment includes:
• Pick up from the airport or ferry port when you arrive.
• 2 weeks accommodation in RDA´s intern house and all meals at the resort buffet during the entire course.
• Access to didactic videos produced by RDA.
• Participating in all IDC presentations taught by our Course Director.
• One on one mentorship and instruction through your course.
• Transportation to and from the dive resort on training days if needed.
• Unlimited diving for life with RDA.
• Dive equipment needed during training.
• Discounts on all PADI Specialty Courses and MSDT programme.
• Discounts on retail dive equipment.
(b) PADI Materials include:
(pre-order 4 weeks in advance if preferred language isn’t English)
• New IDC eLearning Crew Pack in your language
• EFR Instructor Start - Up Pack
• Emergency O2 Provider Instructor Guide
• Enriched Air Instructor Guide
(c) PADI Fees include:
• IE Enrollment
• OWSI Application
• EFRI Application
• Emergency O2 Instructor Application
• Enriched Air Instructor Application
IDC investment value DOES NOT includes:
• Visa’s (where applicable)
These specialty courses may include:
• Boat Diver
• Deep Diver
• Digital Underwater Photographer
• Drift Diver
• Equipment Specialist
• Emergency Oxygen Provider
• Enriched Air Diver
• Dive Against Debris
• Caribbean Lion Fish Containment Diver
• AWARE Fish Identification
• Night Diver
• Search & Recovery Diver
• Underwater Naturalist Diver
• Underwater Navigator
• Underwater Videographer
• Wreck Diver and many more.
Take advantage of a discount on the MSDT preparation course by opting to continue your training immediately after your IDC. Please ask us for more detailed information.
Available bundles with this course:
At Roatan Dive Academy we know one course is not enough, that’s why we have created a serie of bundle package that will give a better price if you decide to take more than one course with us.